No doubt, silk is one of the most luxurious fabrics used in various parts of the world. Silk fabric is a natural fabric made from moth caterpillars. It is perfect for summer, winter and also good for the human body. However, where the problem lies is in taking care of your silk fabric. These expensive materials are quite delicate and must be treated with care. This article provides a detailed guide on how to wash the silk pillowcase and silk pajamas.
How to wash silk pillowcases and silk pajamas?
A silk pillowcase and pajamas are affordable ways to add luxury to your home. It feels great on the skin and is also good for hair growth. Despite their benefits, it is also vital to know how to care for these natural materials to preserve their beauty and moisture-wicking properties.
To ensure they last longer and maintain their softness, silk pillowcase and pajamas should be washed and dried all by yourself. The fact remains that these fabrics feel better when they are washed at home using natural products.
Detailed steps on how to wash silk pillowcases and silk pajamas
- Fill a large bathtub with cold water and soap made for silk fabrics. Soak your silk pillowcase and gently wash with your hands. Do not rub or scrub the silk; just allow the water and gentle agitation to do the cleaning. Then rinse with cold water.
- Just as your silk pillowcase and pajamas need to be washed gently, they also need to be dried gently. Do not squeeze your silk fabrics, and do not put them into a dryer. To dry, just lay down a few white towels and roll your silk pillowcase or silk pajamas into them to absorb the excess water. Then hang to dry outside or inside. When dried outside, do not place directly under the sunlight; this can cause damage to your fabrics.
- Iron your silk pajamas and pillowcase when slightly damp. The iron should be at 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Ensure you avoid high heat when ironing your silk fabric. Then store in a plastic bag.
What are the right detergents for washing silk pillowcases and silk pajamas?
It is vital to note that what you use in washing your silk pillowcase and pajamas is as good as how you wash them. You must avoid chemical detergents that are harmful to the silk and hardens the fabric.
Instead, opt for a natural detergent with neutral pH, specially formed for silk and natural textiles. You can also opt for eco-friendly detergents. Also, avoid bleach, addictive, and chemicals that can damage and discolor your silk pillowcases.
Other tips for washing your silk pajamas and silk pillowcase
- When using a washing machine, simply wash in a gentle cycle using mild cold water.
- Only mild detergents should be used on silk fabrics
- Wash silk pillowcases and pajamas differently from other laundry items
- Iron your silk pillowcase using the silk setting on your iron.
- Don’t soak your silk fabrics for more than 5 minutes.
- Wash dark colored silk fabrics separately as the color can come
Silk pajamas and silk pillowcases are delicate and expensive fabrics that must be adequately cared for. When washing, it is recommended that you opt for a hand wash with cold water. You can add pure white vinegar when rinsing to neutralize alkali raises and dissolve all soap residue.